View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghYHZ View Post
Halifax International Airport - 1960

Click on the link on the left of this link for the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada Journal for December 1960 and scroll to .PDF page 43 (issue page 508)

https://dalspace.library.dal.ca//handle/10222/74720

There’s floor plans and photos of the new Halifax International Airport that opened in 1960. The article also shows the new airports that had recently opened in Montreal and Ottawa…..which looks very similar to Halifax but in a ‘V’ configuration.

And “I Remember When” Mon and Dad would take us out to the airport just to watch planes on a Sunday afternoon. You could sit out on the Garden Patio where there was only a 3’ fence separating you from the ramp and the whine of a Viscount’s Rolls-Royce Dart Turboprops or the smell of kerosene from those new DC-9s! You could also pay your 10 cents at a turnstile and climb the stairs up to the Observation Deck

Great post!

My 'I Remember When' moment was also going to the airport as an 'outing' to watch the planes (ah, the simpler times...), but my favourite part was to play the helicopter game in the airport - the helicopter flew around on an arm in a large plexiglas globe, and the object was to fly the helicopter around and land on specified targets - IIRC, each target successfully landed on would turn on a light. Can recall trying to best my older brother at the game but he was always better than me...