View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 1:25 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by davequanbury View Post
I am glad to see this project moving along. I was privy to conversation the other day however where someone was saying that Agape Table moving out of that little hall is the moment people are going to look back on and say 'that was when gentrification hit West Broadway.'

I couldn't help but think (after having lived in Austin TX from 2009-2014) hmm, I don't think 'gentrification' is quite the right word to use here.

I have found some research by Jennifer Logan and Marc Vachon saying the G word is for sure happening in West Broadway, but to my mind, the area is still a little too rough around the edges for most people. I don't even have a solid definition of gentrification either, just a feeling that it has to do with people moving into an area because of some hipster cache...

What do you guys think, is West Broadway gettin gentrified?
I think I agree with your assessment, actually. I think the dynamic in Canada just can't be compared with the American as we have much stronger social programs. I don't think there's really any city in Canada that can be called gentrified but I'm no expert.

That being said, West Broadway was a real shithole when I was growing up. Not somewhere you wanted to spend a lot of time in, that's for sure. That's definitely changed. There was a point in the not-so-distant past when West Broadway was essentially the murder capital of the country so there's been some really big changes.