View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 25, 2020, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bussche View Post
If you compare the year over year increases during Katz time as Mayor to Bowman's budgets, Bowman has done a pretty good job of reigning that in. He also tried to get rid of pensionable overtime for the Police.

Defund the Police isn't the same as Abolish the Police. I think a good strategy to defund them would be to stop giving their budget year increases and instead direct the money saved towards social services. Although it's not that simple as the services that would reduce the need for Police are provided by different level's of Gov't (Mental Health, etc)
Exactly. Freezing the budget for 5 years even would "decrease" it by about 10% on inflation alone. Let them figure out of they want attrition of jobs or salaries – it's been proven there's no correlation regarding police spending and crime.

And regarding the money still going to the government for other services – GOOD, it's proven that mental health services are a lot more effective than policing for a good chunk of what becomes crime.

It's the same thing me with the nurses unions for example – always complaining about nursing "jobs" being lost, but never say a thing about the quality of healthcare. Certain parts of the healthcare restructuring have been effective at getting more efficient. I get unions are just a mafia that only care about "jobs" and growing their membership, but it sucks how much that influences things. And that's why our healthcare sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bussche View Post
It doesn't help when the WPA releases scare mongering propaganda to influence public opinion around election time.

Bowman didn't give the Police budget as much of an increase as they wanted during his first term, so the WPA put out a video of kids in a closet hiding from an intruder, calling 911 and getting a busy signal.

Almost seems like extortion, doesn't it?

https://globalnews.ca/news/4428835/m...ear-mongering/
Yes. Considering WPS is a taxpayer funded organization (that's supposed to protect use) they shouldn't even be legally allowed to influence politics like this.