View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
3rd world roads lol

The only time I hear comments like that it's from douchebaggy albertans who feel entitled to get to their shacks on the Shuswap an hour faster .. and they'll still drive like idiots even when the road it 4 lanes divided each way.

I've driven that highway hundred of times, including in a 5 tonne car carrier. Never felt unsafe, sometimes it's slow.. but the road doesn't cause people to do stupid stuff.. people do
Seems like a "douchebaggy" Vancouverite is commenting here. One who likely thinks the only important roads are in Vancouver. There is no need to resort to name calling (even though I returned the favor). It's pretty obvious by the press how isolationist BC is becoming - especially towards Canada. I don't like it one bit since I love BC. And I know interior BC politicians don't like it either. My trucker friend in Sicamous absolutely hates the highway (a motorcycle recently ran into his truck - the guy is in bad shape)

Lol, I've driven a lot of third world roads lately - in some very out of the way countries and YES - BC does have 3rd world roads. Often worse than 3rd world in some areas. (cough khc cough) Give me a break here. The trans-canada highway in most of BC, except for the last few years was ignored by BC since it opened in the 1950's. They're twinning the highway in Tanzania and repaving in Zimbabwe to crying out loud. Madagascar was smooth clear sailing (although scarily narrow). Russia - isn't 3rd world (I may be wrong on that, but they're 2nd world).

Most of the bridge replacements are because the bridges have reached the end of their 50 year lifespan. The BC government freely admits they were sometimes not even built to 1950's standards. And they freely point out how dangerous the roads are that they're fixing. Check out the website. They include death statistics and mention it as a reason for upgrading.

I'm not talking about every road in BC. Some are nice. Some are awful - which you'll find in pretty much every area of the world. But I'm complaining about the #1 highway in Canada. The highway the BC transportation website refers to as Main Street Canada. The main link to the rest of the country if you will. Personally, the KHC is cool and the money spent on it so far is enough for now. The money should be spent on other sections first in my humble opinion.

The sections they have fixed are great. I realize it's super expensive to build in the mountains. We can't keep using the "we're a big country" excuse to not build our country. If some of the people here were around during the railroad days they'd still be waiting for the CP in Vancouver. The big issue is that the problems were ignored so long that the task ahead is monumental. If they had slowly done upgrades over several decades they'd be miles ahead. But pretty much nothing was done. The death count and accident statistics grew. The economy suffered. The road is closed an unacceptable number of days each year. Then someone woke up.

This douchbaggy Albertan (I've lived in BC too) got a little frustrated when a 6 hour drive turned into 12 hours - much of it a parking lot. Sorry about the whining. I guess you can tell the family of the 34 year old that was killed that the roads are safe. No center barrier on new sections - and lots of head-on's - but safe in your opinion.

Last edited by Yahoo; Jul 19, 2013 at 11:21 PM.