View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delboy View Post
this thread has been 'sleeping for a bit'. Thought it might be worth posting this:

http://www.westender.com/articles/en...right-to-party

The backlash from the film No Fun City and pressure from Vancouver staples, such as David Dupprey, as lead to the city being quite candid about the state of its bylaws surrounding live music venues that have suppressed those who want to foster different live music venues.

Will no fun Vancouver eventually be a moniker of the past? Has the tide finally turned?

Good idea to re-open this thread, Delboy. Good timing, as everyone is understandably preoccupied with View Cones, City Hall Morons, and so forth. You made a good choice. It's refreshing.

Vancouver may be on a turning tide, but it's still (seemingly) rather peripheral, and not "mainstream," (which is what I'd like to see. People I know from Montreal - and Toronto, too -- say the nightlife scene here is folksy and blaaaah, still.)

I don't know if Vancouverites will ever "get it." This requires travel, which is $$$$. However, travel is a vital form of education, and without comparisons, experienced by a large part of the population, the Vancouver nightlife scene will remain - alas - "party till you puke," which is a really dirty shame. One can only hope for the best, and keep on sluggin'. Again, thanks for rescucitating this thread.