View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail>Auto View Post

- I am 110% opposed to demolition of MSG so I hope whatever happens with the Javits lot should this decision be made happens quickly before anyone gets any wild ideas of moving MSG there.
MSG can move to the Farley Annex as previously envisioned. The existing arena simply has to go for any meaningful changes to be done to Penn Station at the track/platform level. Trains can't load/unload quickly because of narrow platforms, limited vertical circulation, and constricted concourses. I'm not even necessarily of the opinion that Penn needs a dramatic (and inevitably insanely expensive) new head house (new overbuild may be preferable financially also) but it is not even a question that MSG has to go.

As to the proposal for moving the convention center...it's possible but going to cost. Sale/lease of Javits would only cover a small portion of the cost to rebuild a larger one over the rail yard and may not be financially responsible. The day may come where office and residential construction is justified due to lack of available land. Willets Point may be a better choice.