View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy1231 View Post
You keep telling yourself that. In the meantime all of these greenfield developments are selling out and new ones are being planned. You are simply projecting what you want, not what the average person wants.

Umm, I'm not telling myself anything. Numbers don't lie.
People pay more to live in a walkable hood. And there is zero reason to not build walkable hoods on greenfield developments.
Anything built, whether designed properly or designed like it's 1980 will sell. We have a massive housing shortage in this city.
Walkable communities served with great transit and cycling options save the taxpayers TONS of money annually compared with Upper Stoney Creek/Meadowlands/Waterdown style developments.
All taxpayers who want to complain about their tax rates have a duty to be vocal about the way in which our city develops.

30 years ago a developer could argue that people didn't want urban style housing, thus they built winding cul-de-sacs with 3 car garages.
In 2017 they know that people want an urban vibe even in their suburban developments. The only reason we don't see complete communities built in our suburbs is because city hall's zoning code was largely written in the 1950's.
And it's one of the main reasons our city is broke and digging deeper holes every year.
I'd be fine with 75 storey towers downtown and 100's of thousands of new housing units on greenfield lands but only if designed properly and not car-dependant.