View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 11:30 PM
Tucsonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArbyW View Post
Architecture is not like fashion, you cannot change your outfit.

You cannot predict how dated the Peach proposal will look in 20 years, but you can guess.... it has earmarks of some of the sad, post-modern schlock you see decaying around town. Very ambitious and probably un-attainable, doomed to be one of those unfinished projects.
The Alexander proposal is handsome and timeless, good proportion and scale. Some notes from the past but updated, modern construction. Preservation of one of the finest downtown landmarks, and of a scale that can be built. The transit portion is the latest, best thinking.

I would suggest adopting the plan of Peach - pushing the bounds of downtown across the tracks plus getting Greyhound sometime in the future - and building the core Alexander proposal.
I agree with what you said. At first glance I'm drawn towards the height and looks of the Peach proposal. But based on what you said along with the price tag I don't think its the best choice, While the other one might be considered boring it does have longevity and the price is less than 1/3 of the other proposal. I would prefer some more height.. but i think downtown Tucson needs to fill up a lot more residential units before developers an the city really feel the need for higher density/taller developments. Lets not forget peach still has their broadway property and if they are committed to such a design they could do so on that lot. I think the city will choose the Wisconsin one.