View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 3, 2009, 2:50 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeiter View Post
There was a Kentucky Fried Chicken right around Spicewood Springs and 183 roughly where the water tower is. And there was a Golden Chick or something similarly named at Anderson Mill and 183 in the "Plaza 183" shopping center - there also used to be a Shipley's Donuts in a nearly identical building next door.

Also, there was a 2-J's which I always knew to be a hamburger joint but may have also sold fried chicken, which was located just before Anderson Mill (actually, where Balcones Club used to have a stoplight). Right near the intersection of Roxie Road and 183. This was a mexican pottery/imports place for a while, not sure if the building exists anymore.
Man I loved 2-J's! Its been gone for years. They even served chicken fried steak, which was a mortal enemy of gastrointestinal tracts everywhere. The original 2J's was located on N Lamar across from Central Market, now the home of EZ's (an old pic of the 2J hangs inside). At one time there was a 2Js in Round Rock as well (on North Mays).

My parents tell me a now-defunct burger chain occupied the 183 2J's site prior. You may also remember the two adjacent restaurants in successive blocks... a Diary Queen (now an Enterprise Rental Car) and a Pizza Hut (now home to a vacant gas station).

I definitely remember Video Station...that store kept expanding into adjacent spaces in the shopping center, including the old MotoPhoto one-hour shop. That corner of Northfork was torn down years ago in advance of the 183 expansion (cut off where Strait Music and the Mattress Factory are now....and at one time a London's Fabrics). A friend tells me that Video Station moved to Taylor at some point in the past 15 years.