View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 9, 2006, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertex View Post
In terms of 'new' old-world charm, San Antonio should be in a league with New Orleans or Boston.
I beg your pardon?!?

New Orleans and Boston have functional urban environments and blocks of gorgeous and well-preserved buildings. San Antonio has a few of those and a small, walkable urban environment around Riverwalk. Unfortunately, most of the city (that I have seen, at least - and I thought I saw the "nicer" parts) is boring and unattractive sprawl. The city may have a rich history, and as many of you like to use the word "soulless" in connecton to sprawl, this history does NOT show through in the bland, boring architecture surrounding the city's core. San Antonio was one of the few places I have ever been in which both the inner and outer neighborhoods equally disappointed me. Yeah, lots of it is working class and not "fancy" like some of the "boutique cities," but when I compare that with working class parts of Pittsburgh, Saint Louis, or Chicago these cities' vernacular working/middle class neighborhoods just blow San Antonio away.