View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 28, 2020, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
I like this in principle. But I do wonder, post-Covid, will as many urban people reject car ownership as was the case in the 2010s? I know myself I’m far less likely to use public transit now than before the pandemic, and I now value private car use far more than I did even six months ago.
Add to that many people will leave cramped downtown condos when you can only have two people in an elevator etc. Seems foolish to eliminate parking minimums when we are seemingly on the cusp of a car buying bounce.

...COVID-19 did have adverse effects on the city as well. A major casualty was the public transport system, which recorded a fast decline in ridership as well as frequency. The city reports that it is losing $10 million a month because of this and at one point consideredshutting down public transport in summer.

Public transport’s loss may just be car ridership’s gain. Cues can be drawn from the Chinese city of Wuhan, the epicentre of the COVID-19 pandemic, where private car sales shot up as lockdown measures eased in April. A large part of this is attributed to people feeling safer in private cars than in shared public transportation during a pandemic....

https://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/...urban-planning

Having lived in areas that have seen adjacent multifamily development it is absolutely clear that cars from those new multifamily building spill onto the adjacent residential streets, even with parking minimums. People are to cheap to buy more than one spot because they can use the street for free.