View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 8:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
My point was that at least Toronto has been vying for the summer's. I'm pretty sure Vancouver hasn't even put in a bid yet. I'd be willing to wager money that Toronto will be awarded the summer's in the next ten years. Even if Vancouver did put a bid in, the fact they just hosted the winter's means it will probably be a long time before they would even be considered.
Canada won't be hosting the Olympics again anytime so soon after Vancouver. The very earliest for the Summer edition will most likely be 2028, meaning a hypothetical bid would be in 2021. Again, that's the earliest. Winning the Olympics isn't just about technical merit, but also about geopolitics....everything has to come together for things to be just right.

The 2040's will be the earliest for a Vancouver Summer Games IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post

CTV was bad - local CTV was good but it wasn't that great
Compared to what CBC would have provided, CTV did a great job in quality. And it wasn't just CTV but also their affiliate TSN and Rogers Sportsnet.

Something like 1,000 hours of live television were broadcasted by the CTV consortium, whereas CBC had proposed to pair up with the Score for a paltry 250 hours.

Not to mention that their over bid for the tv rights provided VANOC with a windfall.