View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 4:43 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Yeah, my parents didn't move into a place with a yard until I was in 7th grade (by then, I had no need for one...). Apparently there are these places called parks where you can take kids to play .
parks are great, but sometimes you just want to tell your kids to "go outside and play?", so you can do whatever shit you're trying to get done.

for older kids, a neighborhood park/playground can fulfill that role, but for younger kids, they can't really go to a park unsupervised. that's where the magic of a "yard" really shines.

now, some people take that too far and erroneously believe that, at an absolute minimum, kids need at least 1/4 acre of private outdoor space. our kids get along just fine with much less than that. between our deck, the back staircase, the shared patio in back, our building's small yard in front, and the long narrow gangway that connects them, they have fenced-in outside space to run around in. if we want to do something more sporting that requires more open space, we take them to the field at the school one block over.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jul 23, 2019 at 5:54 PM.