View Single Post
Old Posted May 7, 2020, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Today is the 75th anniversary of the VE day riots in Halifax:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...sary-1.5551158

I remember hearing the stories from my father, who was a 14-year-old kid at the time. Of course my father being who he was, would have been out in the thick of it, for the spectacle that it turned out to be. His stories pretty much were as described in the article, but from a perspective of a kid who basically had no fear. What I remember the most is that one of the soldiers who had been looting said to him something to the effect of... "Hey kid, here you go" - and tossed him a watch that he had just looted from somewhere. As a somewhat poor kid living in the rough areas of downtown Halifax at the time, it meant a lot to him that the soldier would do that for him, even though the circumstances were somewhat dubious.

FWIW, if you go through the Halifax Municipal Archives and NS archives sites, there are more photos of the 'action' of that day.
I remember my Grandfather telling me about his Wartime experiences living on Liverpool street. My Grandfather was the eldest of seven siblings and ran a moving company during the war. He tried to volunteer for the forces but he was told that because he was the father of three young Kids ( my Dad being the middle kid) and a provider of a vital civilian service (trucking)he would sit out the War here in Halifax.

That's not to say my Grandparents did not do their part. Shortly after Canada declared War on Germany the RCMP showed up at their door on Liverpool street and confirmed that it was three bedroom house with three little kids. The RCMP then introduced two RCN officers to my grandparents and handed over some ration cards so my Grandmother could feed and cook for the new roommates.

My Grandmother was a Valley Baptist and did not take kindly to drink.
While serving dinner during the riots my Grandmother apparently interrogated her RCN roommates to be assured that "her boys" had nothing to do with the riots. "No Ma'am " was apparently their reply. Later that evening my Grandmother asked that her sewing machine be brought down so she could mend the Officers uniforms for the formal Victory Parade . My Grandfather almost wrenched his back when he went to pick up the sit down sewing machine. When he looked in the draws he found at least 6 bottles of liberated booze. He quickly told the boys to get it out of the house or they would wish they were back at Sea fighting Submarines. My Grandmother was not told until the seventies. She had a good laugh .