View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 6:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDiego View Post
Yes, LAPAST, thanks for the trip down memory lane, Eastland Shopping Center style. I had an aunt in Glendora in the early 60's, and when visting her as a kid with my family, it was a treat to drive to Eastland for lunch or early dinner at Clifton's Cafeteria, where I believe a woman played twin organs simultaneously (get your mind out of the gutter), or was it an organ and a piano?. Also well remember gaping many a time at what seemed at the time the bizarre-looking "Huddle" restaurant' a real Googie monument.

In total contrast to the Huddle, our family ate at Clifton's all the time (it was both my and my grandmother's favorite restaurant). I had many birthday parties there from age 6 on, and I was eating at Clifton's the day I opened my college acceptance letter a decade later.

The organist I remember at the Eastland Clifton's was named Jimmy Rhodes. His organ had two keyboards, and he could simultaneously play a piano that was set at a right angle to the organ. I was taking piano lessons at the time, and that ability to play two keyboard instruments at once really impressed me! I actually have an LP of his organ music that they sold at Clifton's. (Which is why I still remember his name!)

-Scott