View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 4:18 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Sounds like so far we're all in agreement. Not terribly pressing and shouldn't have been handled by vigilantism. However, I do think that without vigilantism it's unlikely there would have been much movement on the issue any time soon though, and those involved in the vigilantly actions were likely well aware of that.

I think there will always be disagreement when it comes to symbolism because it's very hard to quantify how much real world effect symbols have. Some would say that placing a particular piece of imagery literally on a pedestal at the centre of a public space helps define a society's values and greatly influences - consciously or otherwise - how its members think about themselves and the world. Others would say that it's mostly irrelevant and unnoticed pomp that serves merely as decor and that no one should pay it any mind because there are lots of actually important things to think about. I have to admit I'm unsure which side is more correct.