View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 4:06 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Further to the above two posts:

Sackville United Church to be torn down
Sackville Tribune Post
Published on March 18, 2015

SACKVILLE, N.B. – Sackville’s downtown landscape is about to change.

The fate of the former Sackville United Church on the corner of Main and York Streets was finally decided on yesterday, with the heritage board voting 4-1 to issue a demolition permit to JN Lafford Realty.

Heritage board members who voted in favour of issuing the permit said they were doing so with a heavy heart, as the church has stood as a community landmark in the heart of Sackville’s downtown for more than 135 years.

read more
http://www.sackvilletribunepost.com/...be-torn-down/1

Vogue Theatre fundraiser less than a quarter of way to goal with hours remaining in campaign
Sackville Tribune Post

SACKVILLE, N.B. – With only hours left in a campaign to raise much-needed funds for the Vogue Theatre in downtown Sackville, $22,668 of the $100,000 goal has been raised.

Jeff Coates, who has owned the theatre since 2006, launched the online fundraising campaign earlier this year with the goal of raising enough funds to help cover costly operational and repair bills that have begun to mount.

read more:
http://www.sackvilletribunepost.com/...-in-campaign/1

personal note - No good news out of Bagtown today. I also miss the Wendy's restaurant out near the TCH too........

I do hope that some form of "white knight" steps forward to rescue the Vogue Cinema. It's a bit of a hike into Moncton to catch a movie for students at MTA. Even the twin cinemas in Amherst are a bit inconvenient as a lot of students don't have cars. I wonder if there might be some interest by the university in helping out in some way?

While the loss of Sackville United Church is regrettable, it is a wooden structure that was at the end of it's lifespan. Renovations would have been extraordinarily expensive. I can see this lot being redeveloped into a mixed use development of some form. It is right next to the university and very close to the main intersection in the downtown. There have been two other new building constructed in the immediate area in the last few years. I don't think this lot will remain vacant for too long.