View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Great post, Horthos--downtown will never be what we imagine it was before the long postwar decline, but it is fantastic to see the demolitions slowing and the historic fabric of the district being restored. Who'd have ever thought? Anyway, let's see.... The Schulte-United store was at 529 S Broadway, built in 1928 as part of a national chain. It didn't last long...

LAT June 19, 1932/Dec 28, 1934

The sunburst was in front of 523 S Spring, a narrow building between the Stationers Corp and the Alexandria. 523 S Spring had a number of tenants on its ground floor in the 1910s and '20s, among them the Prudential Building-Loan Association ('20s) and before that, the stationery outlet of Stratford & Green Booksellers...not that any of this explains the sunburst.... The Angelus Drug Co was at 214 West 4th St... the blue-and-white tiling seems to be a remnant. I can't find anything about Glasgow Tailors....
My aunt worked at the Stationers Corporation, probably in the 30's. I have at home right now a chalkboard eraser (the old felt kind) that has a label on the back that says "Stationers Corporation". Since we have a big chalkboard in the kitchen we use to write down grocery lists, the eraser is still in use every week. As for Stationers, I understood that they were sort of the precursor to Office Depot or Staples.