View Single Post
Old Posted May 17, 2010, 6:29 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
Its obvious you prefer the aesthetics of a Schaumburg strip mall than to that of a diverse city neighborhood. Why not just move there?

Seriously, Im just having a very difficult time understanding the vehement issue people have with this block.
^ And I'm having a difficult time understanding your argument.

This forum is full of some of the most pro-urban, density-obsessed city-loving, architectural-crazed fanatics on the planet. Do you think anyone here likes Schaumburg strip malls?

Have you seen a Schaumburg strip mall? Seriously, have you gone out there and looked at a strip mall? What in flying hell are you talking about?

I see nothing in common between this and a strip mall. Zero. Zilch.

Most of us here love that there will be a huge increase in density--not only from the apartment and hotel, but even from the retail.

Yes, the retail. Instead of just having a lot of traffic on Friday and Saturday nights, which most of these bars cater to, there is the prospect of generating traffic throughout the day and week. A Best Buy and Apple Store will be bringing people to the area on Monday and Tuesday afternoon, while the bars will continue to draw the night crowd. It's a far better balance and ultimately a better use for land adjacent to a mass transit stop.

Last I checked, this strip of Clark is pretty much dead on weekdays up until dinner time. This kind of development can change that.

And you're opposed to it because of a bunch of nondescript, unornamented brick buildings of zero historical significance whatsoever other than the fact that they just happen to be old?

Not feeling you here...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q