View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordinaryhand View Post
hi all,

i used to live in this building as a student in the early '90s, and found this thread while randomly googling the address. i always remembered this apartment very fondly, and i was kind of gutted to see the picture of the flattened building. what a shame. amazing that it resisted developers all this time. i would have expected a company to renovate the flats into high-priced condo "lofts" as they tend to do here in montreal, which, while it is damaging to the rental market, seems a less tragic fate than flattening a heritage building and putting up a generic, cheaply made box.
Restoring old buildings and turning them into upscale condos, complete with heritage cachet, is by far the most common means of developing properties like this across Canada. Except here. Many if not most of the big Halifax developers (Westwood, Dexel, et. al.) are entirely clueless about this kind of re-use. A lot of our developers locally don't know what the hell to do with any site that isn't a total clean late.