View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I suspect that in 10 years or so we will be looking at ways to repurpose underutilized parts of this structure in the face of minimal demand for what it offers.
While I don't agree with the 10 year prediction, I do have to raise a key thought about institutional design.

In say a hundred, or even just fifty years, what can be done with this building after it is no longer big enough to house the central library? Yes expansions can be added, but that is a stop gap, unless they want to add more floors which, while no engineer, I can bet it would be expensive both to shore up the base structure, and adding the floors in its own right.

I would see it being a natural relocation of the provincial courts, from their oh-so Brutalism home now. That thinking though relies that they will still be there in fifty years.

Is there a re-purpose clause in municipal tenders?

And just as an added comment after viewing the lastest photos, I couldn't give a flying ka-zoo about the golly dancing art work. If they wanted art, it should be free display space for local artists, and the library would get a cut of any sales. Unless that's already policy and now I look like a cranky old man.