View Single Post
Old Posted May 19, 2019, 1:29 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Hill View Post
I guess I'm the only one that thought this thread was going to be about fruit theft?

Anyway...

I definitely feel like the LED's increase visibility. I'm guessing they decrease traffic accidents. Still, I don't like them. I feel less comfortable in harsh, blue light. It feels odd. "Why do I feel like I'm in a big box store even though I'm outside at night?" When I'm in an area brightly lit by LED's and I see some of that orange glow down the street, the orange glow looks inviting.

Perhaps years from now, I'll be so used to LED lighting that the orange will feel weird? I don't know. Who lights their own home like an office building, with white LED's? Almost no one. You can't relax in that shit.
I apologize, but I don't understand how you could possibly feel less safe with LED streetlights compared to the old standard.

I mean, personally, if I'm driving down a street that I am not familiar with in a more impoverished part of town, I don't see the distance glow of an old streetlight as helpful. These days, now that our streets are lit with LED street lights, there is much more that I can see as I drive down a street.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm getting the impression that LED streetlights here in Birmingham are less powerful than those outside of the Southeast? From some comments in this thread, I get the feeling that people are f***ing blinded by them... that just doesn't seem to be anything like our new streetlights.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State