View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
A no-car condo was built in Calgary last year, and that city is significantly less urban-scaled than Halifax (at least, central Halifax). If they can do it there they can do it here. I live in the Hydrostone, and the only reason I have a car is because my girlfriend works in Amherst several days a week. If it weren't for that we'd ditch the car in a second. It's ridiculously expensive and totally unnecessary for our day-to-day life in the city.

That would be even more true on SGR. I think that in this one neighbourhood, at least, it's as easy to go car-less as in pretty much anywhere in Canada.
Interesting. I suppose it's really about supply and demand. If there are enough people who want to live car-less it will float, and those who wish to have cars will look elsewhere for a place to live. Thanks all for the input.

FWIW, there are cheap ways to maintain car ownership, but it involves learning about how they work and being willing to do some routine maintenance and repairs yourself. A savvy car buyer can find an older model that has depreciated severely but still is in good condition (admittedly a challenge in rust-prone NS, but still doable) and keep it on the road for relatively small costs (basic insurance is all that's needed on an older vehicle). Right now gas is cheap, but we all know that can change on a moment's notice.