View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
I don't know - I saw it on Channel 10.
I thought it was hilarious, the first speaker went off on a rant against Nova Centre when the issue was road closure and Savage didn't rein him in soon enough and then when Savage did ask him to stick to the issue the guy just carried on reading his script and then in the background Adams butted in and it descended into farce before the guy walked out in a huff.
Ruffman wanted to put up a picture/photo/image and asked the clerk to leave it up while he explained his position on the issue. He was calm and respectful - several others chose to ramble on about the economics of Nova Centre.
To his credit Mayor Savage politely laid out the rules before opening the floor and asked presenters to stick to the issue at hand and to do so with decorum and in a respectful manner.
Obviously some people don't understand the English language, didn't listen to Mayor Savage, didn't hear Mayor Savage or decided to ignore Mayor Savage.
Allowing power point presentations is much easier and a more sensible course of action, provided the 5 minute rule is observed. The applicant gets 10 minutes and the staff have no limit.
As a practising planner out west - I somewhat disagree with you on your last point about allowing paragraphs. We are going through the budget debate and I've had it on in my office and some of the folks who presented (using power point) were out to lunch. One have one guy...he makes the Alan Ruffman, STV and the guy who ranted on the Nova Centre look like angels (seriously - when I'm home for Christmas I'll show you this guy's twitter feed - priceless).

People who have an agenda and are on the brighter side of 'nut job' are going to get up there and shoot themselves in the foot all the time, that you can bet on.

I will say that as a planner who is part of our professional practice, there should be a local body in NS that if the planning staff are members off you can file complaints with. I'm part of the Alberta body (actually elected to the board too) so I know we have a discipline committee.