View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 6:37 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
^ The downtown grocery store obsession is bizarre. No one is not moving to downtown because there's not a grocery store. Retail follows roof tops, when enough people live downtown, magically, a grocery store will appear. Lets focus our energy on dramatically increase downtown residential density, everything else will follow.

I worry this grocery store obsession could lead to a company speculatively putting a grocery downtown, it failing, and then it being even longer before we get a stable grocery store. A lot of community members are pushing Lennar homes to work with Sprouts (who wants a Central Phx location) to put in a grocery at Central/McDowell. That could really hurt the chances of an actual "downtown" grocery store, as no one is putting one south of the I-10 with the Sprouts and Safeway so nearby until residential density is way, way higher than it currently is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
I did see that on AZCentral and thought it's a shame to demolish it. The article stated it would cost $1 Million to rehab it into usable space though.
That number is bologna.

A. That $1M number is higher than what the contractor estimated, which was $800K. But it "could" cost up to $1M

B. That number is way too high because the contractor has ZERO Historic Preservation experience and it included things like putting in totally new windows (not only unnecessary but anti HP in every way), removing and re-stuccoing the outside instead of just fixing cracks.

C. The question that is never asked in this situations: Who's fault is it that the building is in poor shape to begin with!? The Fair! If you let your building fall apart you then can't cry "oh its in such bad shape there's nothing else we can do!" Its your freaking fault for letting it fall to bits.