View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Anyone else following the saga over the potential demolition of the 1938 WPA built administration building on the State Fair Grounds?

Apparently the fair people are ready to demolish it, but Mayor Stanton has called for an emergency HPT meeting today to hold off demolition. And police were protecting it from demolition last night. I'm happy such lengths have been taken to save it. Of course, I'm sad yet another historic cool building is slated for demolition in Phoenix (and has generally fallen into disrepair). It's so frustrating.

I've always admired the building for its presence on McDowell and its hidden in plain sight art deco gem aspect.
The state fair grounds are such a treasure cove for old historic buildings. I love the coliseum. It's a shame that it is so disconnected from the city and everything around it. It would be awesome if it could be remodeled into a space that could be open year-round. More like a large park with sturdy paving options which can take the crazy foot-traffic of the large events that take place there. The fact that it is fenced off the majority of the time leads to it being forgotten and incidents like this occurring. The reason for which most of the city isn't more outspoken about historic preservation is that most people don't even know what is being lost.