View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 5:41 PM

Thanks for the article thistleclub.

Interesting stuff for sure. I'm still a little perplexed behind the idea, and still don't really get it. I really don't see the appeal or benefit. A cargo warehouse hub, with cargo warehouse type jobs, is that it?

It sure doesn't sound like a worthwhile investment of $350m in infrastructure to support that.

I wish the proponents could give a clear argument.

So far to me, it sounds like nothing more than developers wanting to cash in on more sprawl, that in the end will cost the city more to support and maintain. Like I said, I want to learn more of the benefits and why this is such a good idea. Can't see it yet.

If any area of the city needs investment attention, I think it's the older part/lower city. Transforming that older area of the city with its existing infrastructure would cost less and should increase the land values/tax base. no?

Right now, I think that LRT in combination with proper land use planning (which is happening), could provide much more benefit at lower cost to the city by taking advantage of funding from upper levels of government.

It seems crazy to me that the city could afford $350m in capital costs for AEGD, and not a fraction of that for LRT.

I need more info. I'm not seeing it.