View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Thanks for sharing your stories Valda!

You mentioned your neighborhood in Highland Park... my Grandparents lived with my Great Grandmother in Highland Park back in the late 20s and 30s. They lived there for quite a while, my mother even lived there up until the 1st grade. They lived on a house just off of N Avenue 64 (on Planada Ave), shown below:

Google Street View

Back in those days it was broken into two separate living areas, with my family living upstairs, and the downstairs was rented out as a separate apartment.

Earlier on in this thread I mentioned my Mom's neighborhood and some stories about her childhood in Alhambra (living just below the Phil Spector mansion), but she lived in Highland Park when she was much younger.

Also, YEARS ago (probably 2004) I posted a thread about my Grandmother's stories riding the streetcars from Highland Park to her job at a bank in Downtown Los Angeles. Maybe you guys rode the same streetcar, Valda. Her and my Grandfather kept a Los Angeles street car token for all these years, which she gave to me before she passed (actually, she gave it to me around the time I posted that old thread, I still have it).

Anyway, I just talked to my mom on the phone and she mentioned several interesting historic structures in Highland Park on N Ave 64, just a block or so from their old home. One of them is the Church of the Angeles on 1100 N. Avenue 64. She told me how beautiful the stained glass windows in the church were, as well as mentioned a neat angel statue in front. Here is what the church looks like today:

The stained glass

Google Streetview

Side view from Church Street, notice the clock and statue

Another really quick search brought up this:

Courtesy USC Digital Archive Church of the Angels info, USC

Notice the clock... In the archives they describe the history of the late 1800s church, which still stands in mostly the same condition.
Highland Park indeed is fascinating. My godparents used to live there, until the early 1990s when they moved to West Covina, and then later some time after 2000, they moved out to Beaumont; my godfather passed away last year.

Great photos, PHX31. I like the Church of the Angels. I've only visited it once in the late 1990s. I liked it because it was prominently featured in one of my favorite movies from the 80s (and in my opinion, Winona Ryder's best film), "Heathers":

Video Link

~ Charles Bukowski