View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Vintage View Post
And some cool slides

^^^
Comments & Memories:

1. Ocean cargo ships pre-container era. They used to hire more dockworkers to unload them. The old freighters were tiny compared to modern container ships.

2. L.A. International future version opened in 1961, and V.P. Lyndon Johnson came to town for the grand opening in 1961. I was there...with my parents. It was a big deal. We took photos but I can't find them. Maybe someone can find & post some of the grand open pics with LBJ. I remember LBJ didn't smile much. I think Polson was still mayor & Johnson looked bored. A year or two earlier Khruschev came to town and got mad when Disneyland wouldn't let him visit. He also got into a shouting match with mayor Polson. I remember the Herald Examiner used to call Khruschev "Mr. K".

3. The opening of Disneyland in '55 was a mess..it was hot, the asphalt melted, not enough food, long lines, rides broke down. We went a few weeks later and most of the gremlins were gone. It was fun but very crowded.

4.If the photograper had of panned a bit right, the lovely Richfield tower would be visible. Gasometer upper right. Mystery...where is the turreted old Hall of Records? Is it hidden by one of the other buildings? There is a building to the left of city hall in front of the federal courthouse, but it doesn't look quite like the H of R....but maybe it is.

Last edited by CaliNative; Mar 6, 2021 at 5:15 AM.