View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Will Melbourne surpass Sydney in population and economic importance by 2050? Are they considered codominant equals now? In skyline growth, Melbourne seems to have overtaken Sydney.
Melbourne was on track to overtake Sydney maybe in a decade or so - That's unlikely to happen now after their corona outbreak and subsequent totalitarian over-reaction by the government (curfews, mandatory mask laws, public and private gatherings illegal - now the world's longest lockdown). Many businesses are saying they want to move out of state - it's hard to plan for the future when your state government (who has done it's own deals with China to be part of it's OBOR policy) can arbitrarily shut down your business for months at a time.

I suspect Queensland will get a good chunk of the growth that would have gone to Victoria.

Sydney's cases and government reaction have been mild in comparison and most hospitality was back up and running quickly after an initial shutdown. I managed to go skiing and to the beach last month while Victorians were and still are forbidden from travelling more than 5km from their homes.

I know where i'd rather be, and I think Sydney will be top dog for a while longer.