View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 10:49 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Streetcar tracks definitely can be hazardous and
Interestingly enough I've talked to people who are terrified of biking on all but a few Toronto streets and are horrified when I say that I have absolutely no problem biking on Bloor or Queen and do it fairly regularly. Having attempted to bike in other cities I would take either over pretty much any major surface street in Ottawa or Calgary

I need to use this one sometime! Winter riding isn't too bad in my experience as long as you aren't doing it while it's snowing. The worst part for me wasn't the road conditions, but the bizarre feeling of overheating due to excessive layers while freezing in the extremities at the same time.
I find it's all a matter of the speed, not volume, of the traffic on any given street. Space is a definate factor as well.

Where I live in Montréal, I can take two separated paths downtown (Rachel or the rail corridor) but I often take St. Joseph instead even though it's busy and has no lanes. It's spacious and has good traffic-calming measures in place, and I can hook back into the lanes Bréboeuf or Clark and then continue to Berri-de Maisonneuve, Prince-Arthur, Viger, Notre-Dame, de la Commune.. depending on where I'm headed.

No worries on using the retort, just make a charitable contribution when you use it (I'll give you my account number!).

I have the same problem with clothing. I start off freezing, soon find my 'happy temperature', then arrive a steaming ball of sweat!