View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 5:59 PM

A. L. Haley / 4th & Hill / 9th & Fig

Here's a small curiosity.

Everyone knows what Angels Knoll once looked like:

H.M. Wisler's grocery was spliced onto the front of the Cowper pioneer homestead (the Cowpers were still in residence) at 361 S Hill.
The home was "trucked and removed", presumably without the commercial addition, in September 1911 (no destination given):
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

eBay
On February 15, 1912 a building permit was issued for the bright-white, "class A", reinforced-concrete Black Building to be built at Nos, 355-361 S Hill, to designs by Edleman & Barnett:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
Alas, by the 70s, the Black too was gone. I used to stare at that pretty tree from my Hill Street bus. Tramps often camped under it. The tree was a holdover from a Clay Street yard (?). I think it survived and may now anchor the copse at the top of Angels Knoll:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post

Now. (Who designed and approved those Jetson-style awnings over the Metro stations? I'd rather see reproductions of the 1910-version of the Angels Flight station house all over the place, if something was needed, but we didn't even get one at the actual Angels Flight):

gsv

Anyway, the curious thing is, another building was planned for 355-361 S Hill Street in 1905, designed by A.L. Haley, but it obviously never got built:

cdnc

Arthur L. Haley was one of LA's busiest architects back in the day:

"Men of California"

The Los Angeles Herald dismissed Haley out-of-hand as a reprobate in 1899:

cdnc

...but by 1905 the Herald was singing a different tune:

cdnc

...and by 1907 the Herald was praising Haley without reservation:

cdnc

Apparently, Haley had left for San Francisco in 1899 to help in the Spanish-American War effort. Also, by 1905, Haley, back in LA, was no longer living in furnished rooms, but in a splendid house, of his own design, at 2730 Raymond Avenue in the West Adams district. If Haley still had a drinking problem, everyone was too polite to mention it.

Of the hundreds of office buildings, hotels, apartments and bungalows Haley designed, the "Sunnyside", built in 1904, was one which conformed to LA's brief enthusiasm for the Corinthian order:

cdnc

1909 LA birdseye

Ten years later George A Ralphs built an L-shaped, single-story brick building to the east of the Sunnyside (wiping out a single-family home in the process), taking up the corner of W 9th and Figueroa:

1921 baist map, plate No. 8

The Sunnyside fell in 1966, but the Ralphs building is still with us as the Original Pantry Cafe.

gsv

(Many thanks to HossC and Beaudry)

Last edited by tovangar2; Jul 23, 2015 at 5:21 PM. Reason: fix quote tags and embedded link / add map