View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 15, 2011, 7:26 PM
World Traveler

Future Large Transportation Projects

I was going through the 2010-2035 Metropolitan Transportation Plan for the Coeur d'Alene metro today. There are hundreds of short- and long-term road projects listed. Here are the largest projects in terms of expense ($20 million and up):

Short-Term Projects (to be worked on between FY2011-FY2014...must be fully funded by 2015)
1. I-90---add interchange at Beck Rd. in Post Falls (by the Washington state line and near the Cabela's and 2nd Post Falls Wal-Mart)---cost $34 million
2. I-90---add interchange at Greensferry Rd. in Post Falls (between the existing Spokane St. and Hwy. 41 interchanges)---cost $46.35 million

Long-Term Projects (must be fully funded by 2030)
1. I-90---widen to 6 lanes (three in each direction) between the WA state line and Hwy. 41 in Post Falls---cost $51.5 million
2. Hwy. 41---widen to 4 lanes (two in each direction) and construct divided roadway between Prairie Ave. and Lancaster Rd.---cost $21.85 million
3. US 95---widen to 4 lanes (two in each direction) and construct divided roadway and add frontage roads between Hwy. 53 and the Bonner County line---cost $80 million
4. Huetter Bypass---construct 6 lane freeway and frontage roads to help bypass North-South traffic on US 95 through Cd'A, construct interchanges at I-90, Poleline Rd., Prairie Rd., Hayden Ave., Wyoming Ave., Lancaster Ave., and Hwy. 53---cost $400 million

Obviously the largest project is the 6-lane bypass at $400 million. The widening of US 95 north of Hayden to the Bonner County line at $80 million and the addition of two lanes to I-90 through Post Falls at $51.5 million are also huge projects. A lot planned up here in the North!

With the Washington Transportation Department planning on widening I-90 to 6 lanes from Sullivan Rd. in Spokane Valley all the way to the Idaho state line, this will give I-90 22 miles of 6-lane roadway (from Hwy. 2 by the airport to the state line) in Washington state. Adding on the planned widening in Post Falls by 2030 (which totals 7 miles), I-90 will have 29 straight miles of at least 6 lanes. Hopefully this will spur the talks of a light rail system again...
Spokane, WA-Cd'A, ID CSA....785,302