View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 5:07 PM

I completely disagree with all the negative comments on Pizza Hut Tower. The materials are certainly not of the caliber seen on the Roosevelt Tower, but they are a far cry from a lot of the garbage we've seen in this city (I'm looking at you River North). Just be thankful this is anodized aluminum and glass instead of a concrete bunker. Finally, I feel like it is the best from up close, I mean real close. I was sitting in traffic EB on Division waiting for the light the other day and was checking out the storefronts. Man are they beautiful, completely wide open, almost too wide open, it feels like there is no barrier at all between the inside and outside of the building. Apparently the construction workers felt this way too because they had big stripes of tape across each window to keep them from walking (or driving something) into them. Depending on how open the floorplan of the corner tenant is, you will be able to see clear across the inside of the building from Ashland to Division. This is partially due to the fact that there is no core at all in the middle of the building.

------------

Next topic: "The 606" sounds like something some idiot consultant in LA made up without ever having stepped foot in Chicago. No one here refers to any thoroughfares or freeways by number. All of the ROW's north of Madison are referred to by name, not number. Same goes with our freeway (which seems to be something unique to Chicago making it extra confusing for tourists). It's not "The 90/94", it is "The Kennedy Expressway". And, in the rare event that we refer to a freeway by its number, it is never "The [number here]", it is just "I-90" or without "the" tacked on the front like some valley girl from California. "The 606" is the exact opposite of how Chicagoans tend to refer to their transit options.

Frankly I think the 606 rebrand is insulting to the project and to the city. There is already a perfectly good name for that trail, one that organically originated over time. We don't need some stupid rework by a bunch of clueless marketing consultants. It doesn't really matter anyhow since people will just call it Bloomingdale Trail anyways just like they still call the Sears Tower the Sears Tower.

Apparently the reason for the attempted re-branding is that the consultants decided "Bloomingdale Trail" would be too difficult to translate to merchandise or other branding opportunities because it is too similar to "Bloomingdale's" which to me sounds like a bullshit excuse for a consultant to rack up some extra billable hours on the city's dime. Bloomingdale Ave has been a name for a very long time and if Bloomingdale's want to sue, they can go shove it up their ass. Ironically "the 606" logo uses very similar font and is stylized similarly to the Bloomingdale's logo which you would think might make the chances of a lawsuit much higher than if we were just using the words "Bloomingdale Trail" instead of "The 606: Featuring the Bloomingdale Trail" or whatever other dumbass ideas they come up with to put on a t-shirt.

logansquarist.com

wolfgangpuckicedcoffee.com
(also, Wolfgang Puck can shove it up his ass too)