View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 31, 2024, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
Wow! I would one day like to see those beautiful stations... Those Moscow headways remind me of being in Vancouver and their skytrain Expo and Millennium lines had trains coming every 2-3 min, a train would leave and I could see the next train on its way. Ive never witnessed that kind of headway, even visiting western European cities. I really hope the Sepulveda Pass Transit corridors wins and selects the skytrain technology for LA, I need those headways to become a standard here. These Light Rail headways are pretty basic...

Moscow can achieve very tight headways (90 seconds) because there is no interlining. In Washington, DC, the red line is completely separate from the rest of the Metro network and so has no junction delays. In LA, people here have suggested separating the Wilshire (D) and Vermont (B) subways should the existing Vermont subway be extended southward. However, from what I understand, the frequency of the existing Vermont Ave. line is limited because the long bored tunnel between Universal City and Hollywood can only have one train in it at a time due to inadequate fire suppression or some other safety requirement. Even though it is a two-track tunnel, it must always run like a single-track tunnel.