Thread: Via rail
View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellinghamgreg View Post
I use to work on the CNR ( Maintenance of Way gangs) from my high school years through college ( between Boston Bar, BC and Jasper, Alberta). There are sections of that stretch that adding another track is near impossible and cost prohibitive. I don't see it happening anytime soon.
I worked on a CN rail gang in the summer of 1977 re-laying track west from Edmonton to Gainford on the CN mainline in Alberta. At that time they were just constructing the 2nd track from Bissell to Stoney Plain. Much of the roadbed had been constructed already between Edmonton and Jasper. When Hunter Harrison was CEO he ripped out 67 km of double track paid for by you and me as taxpayers between Edmonton and Red Pass. Obviously all the sections with the roadbed already built is low hanging fruit which could be doubled with minimal expense. There was and is still plenty of track that could be doubled without too many construction difficulties between Blue River, BC and Portage la Prairie, MB. The same is true on the route between Winnipeg and Toronto.

Right now CN is only installing double track in locations where no bridges are required due to the cost of building bridges. At some point in time they will have to start building new bridges.