Thread: Via rail
View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 4:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellinghamgreg View Post
I'm showing my age when I say this but my high school years were in the late 70's. Kids were as young as 16 that worked on the gangs - obviously something that wouldn't be allowed in this day and age. It was a great summer job.
My summer job after first year university was with the Agriculture Canada Research Station in Charlottetown. I was the "pest control officer", which meant I worked a split shit (6-10AM & 4-8PM) patrolling the test plots to keep the crows from eating the various different types of grain being grown. To do this they gave me a shotgun and told me to go shoot the crows. I never had the heart to do this. I just fired the gun in the general direction of the crows to frighten them off.

The problem is that the research station lay within Charlottetown city limits, and I was discharging this gun within 100 M or so of houses. I nearly got arrested once (I was up in the research building one evening taking a break when three cop cars suddenly came rushing into the field I formerly was patrolling). I laid low for the rest of the evening.

Of course nothing like this would be allowed these days, but back in the 70s, just about anything was allowed.

And, no, I did not receive any firearms training whatsoever..........