View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
If you liked that video, you'll no doubt like this one as well.

It's 5:24 minutes. (there's a narrator so be sure to have your sound turned up)

Video Link

There's a brief glimpse of a Coffee Dan's and something called the 'Haunted House'. (among others)

__

That was, indeed, fascinating. The first moments have objects that one assumes are reflected in the windshield, like the "Hollywood Palace" marquee, which was on Vine, but the car is travelling up Highland Ave. as Max Factor is on the left and the Security Bank building is up on the corner and in the distance is the church at Hollywood and Franklin Ave., so it's a montage of images.

Later one can see all sorts of places we've covered on Hollywood Blvd., like McGoo's, Hollywood Inn, Hody's, Capitol Records, KFWB, Aldo's Restaurant neon, Security Pacific Bldg., Musso & Franks, Frederick's of Hollywood, Hollywood Walk of Fame, Chinese Theatre...and the Coffee Dan's E_R mentioned at Hollywood & Highland. (The Haunted House is seen on another of this guys video posts and is located next to, or near, the Admiral Theatre on Hollywood Blvd. near Vine.)

On the Sunset Strip: Largo. Galaxy. Colonial West. The Classic Cat. Turner's. A billboard with Rex Harrison sitting on a giraffe advertising Doctor Dolittle and next to that a billboard, partially obscured, saying "Meet the President of the United States ...and his Cabinet" with a bearded figure on the right with a guitar? Anyone know what that was about? A billboard advertising In Cold Blood. Another with Joey Bishop, I believe, probably advertising his talk show...he's blowing out candles on a cake and it says "Many Happy Returns" and an 11:30 time indicated on it. Other clubs, billboards and Hotel/Motel locations I could only partially make out the signs.

Looks like footage of a premiere for 2001: A Space Odyssey.

There's over a minute of footage from outside the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium for an Oscar ceremony. I recognized Carol Channing on the red carpet.

We've seen the Hollywood Ranch Market sign before that says "we never close" and there's a clock on the left side of it, but what I didn't know is that the clock hands don't actually keep time, but spin around in a circle very fast. The market is shown at night and during the day. The daylight footage, though, looks like a truck is delivering newspapers to it, but it definitely looks "closed" then.

In the first daylight footage on this clip, shortly after the three minute mark, we see a truck coming up N. Orange Drive (the Hollywood Roosevelt is on the right) and spraying water onto the street as it turns onto Hollywood Blvd. (I don't know if those trucks have a specific name, and I did not know trucks used to spray water onto the city streets every morning, or what the narrator here calls "the sobering light of dawn.") There is a close-up of the Sternberg Jeweler's clock, near the Warner aka Pacific Theatre. There is a pigeon perched on top of it and it reads 5:50--is the sobering light of dawn that bright at 5:50 a.m.?