Thread: Borders
View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 6:57 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I actually don't know when it expires; my understanding was that the US can lease it indefinitely, but I could be wrong. But, according to the terms of the 1903 lease, the US can only use it as a naval base and fueling station. Cuba has wanted the US out of Guantanamo for a while now, and has brought up many claims that the US has violated the terms of that lease which should be cause for them to leave. In fact the whole Gitmo prisoner thing has pissed Cuba off; they use the fact that the US built a prison there as another example of the US violating the lease terms that Guantanamo can only be used as a naval base and fueling station.
I'm pretty sure that it's indefinite for use as a naval base and fueling station. The Cubans have wanted the US out for a while and they have used the Gitmo prison as evidence of the US violating the treaty, but at a point there's very little a country like Cuba can do to strong-arm a country like the US out. It may not be the most politically correct thing around, but let's be honest, if the US wants to stay (and we do) then Cuba has very few options.