View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 12:49 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
I would like to get a new car, but I can't find anything I like as much as my Subaru wagon. I love all the space in the back, never gets stuck and it's fun to drive. The new Subarus are just like all the other cars. I hate the recent auto trends, basically crossovers and SUVs.

I drove a Nissan Murrano during my vacation, which is an SUV, and really did not enjoy driving it at all. Will not buy an SUV.
I have a Honda Civic coupe and it's awful in winter. Even with winter tires, there are a small number of relatively low incline routes I have to take - and starting from a full stop can be difficult in snow even on flat ground. I slide all the time; I've just gotten used to compensating for it and knowing exactly what my car can do.

One difference I'm always struck by between Europe and North America is that in much of Europe people simply do not have an expectation that their car remain in pristine condition. When parking, they back up until they tap the car behind them. Every car is covered in little dings and scratches.

It's the same even in St-Pierre (off the coast of Newfoundland), where they have a mix of small European and large North American vehicles. Every vehicle is lived in.

Terre Neuve et St-Pierre et Miquelon by R C, on Flickr

Also, seeing so many North American and European vehicles together really makes that North American gluttony and sense of entitlement obvious: