View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

I was actually looking for a wider shot of the Vogue Tyres premises when I found another shot similar to the one above. This one has the name "Pennsylvania Tires" on the window. It's dated 1932.

USC Digital Library

I also found pictures of their competition a block away at 1221 South Hope. The "Standard Stores Inc." signs dominate the front, but "Bershon Tire Co." can be seen on the awnings. Both companies belonged to Nathan Bershon of 1179 South Highland Avenue. This one is dated 1930.

USC Digital Library

Three years later, and a new tire company has taken over. There seems to be a patch on the awnings where the Bershon Tire Co. signs have been painted over. It looks like it really was a temporary location for Kelly Springfield Tires, because in the 1936 CD they are listed at 1025 South Flower and 660 South Anderson.

USC Digital Library

Just like 1317 South Hope, we have another survivor, although its neighbors to the right have all gone. The building to the left (1225 South Hope) looks reasonably old too, but isn't there in the 1933 picture above.

GSV