View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 5:47 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen.

This week, we have another new apartment building proposal and renderings for the new courthouse!

Did you have a great Easter weekend?
Video Link

Hotel Indigo:
The restaurant will open on April 25. The hotel is expected to open roughly a week or so after the restaurant. So we are very close to completion on this project!

Credit: sirwinstonwineloft

Soft Opening for friends & family:

Soft Opening for friends & family: (Those are the original stairs to the 1920s luxury department store's bargain basement)

Second Floor Wine Loft:

Art Deco meets Mid-century Modern:

Kitchen:

Hotel Lobby:

Credit: chef.swing

Downtown Hampton Inn & Suites:
This project should be close to completion?

Directly below the lighting strike:

Credit: heatherdoll

Hyatt Place Hotel:
This new downtown hotel project is now on the Hyatt Hotels website as in their pipeline.

Courtyard by Marriott - Downtown:

Workers have started on the brickwork:

Credit: CRA

Merschel Park:

No visible progress, since last week, at this site:

Credit: viveutvitas

Brookstown Apartments:
100 North Broad Street is under contract to real estate investor Chaucer Creek Capital and developer DPJ Residential. The purchase price for the site is $4 million. They will demolish all of the existing structures, close both Brookstown Avenue and Green Street through their development site, and build a $40 million 5-storey apartment building. Sadly, it won't have any retail spaces. I think it should have at least one or two retail spaces, since it's across from the downtown ballpark. Completion is set for late-2021 or early-2022. It is expected to be very high-end, with luxury prices. They do have a requirement to build a new city park and donate it to the city. Though demolition is involved, nothing there is worth preserving. This is an improvement. No renderings at this time.

Fishel Steel Building:
Converting the old industrial Fishel Steel Company Building, in the downtown Arts District, into modern office space. I think this is our first photograph update for this project? This building has rail lines in the floor and massive overhead cranes! It should make an awesome office building for a creative or tech company. I think plans call for a recessed entrance where the black wooden door is located?

They should keep and reuse the "Danger - Hot Work in Progress" sign in their office building:

Credit: viveutvitas

Do I see a new roof with new skylights?

Credit: dashley253

Main & Third:

A look at the 110 foot tall tower crane: (Due to the location, it's too short to be visible on the skyline)

Credit: kevin_altman_law

Maybe they will raise the tower crane, soon, so it will appear on the skyline. It is blocked from view in all directions on the skyline and that makes it difficult to find photographs of it.

Credit: Frank L. Blum Construction

West End Station Apartments:

Top-floor Clubhouse Views:

Credit: westendstationapts

Top-floor Clubhouse Views:

Credit: westendstationapts

Forsyth County Office Building: Cancelled
This project is cancelled. The county decided to add two or three floors to another proposed project instead of constructing this building. The site will be used to construct a proposed linear park, creating a view corridor between the bank towers in the Financial District and the proposed courthouse.

First Baptist Church Restoration:
Joe Bircher is the architect for this project. Workers are making repairs to cracks in the terracotta, replacing rusted piping, and repairing missing mortar.

Credit: First on Fifth

Carolina Athletic Performance:
As we reach the end of April, I'm checking-up on several projects scheduled for completion this Spring. There aren't any construction photographs from this year, for this project. I did discover they have plans for a massive future expansion. I don't think this project will open this month, though? I'm moving the opening date to Summer 2019.

Shah Basketball Complex:
These photographs are from a few weeks ago. This project is far from finished. I'll change the completion date to Summer 2019.

Credit: Barry Faircloth

Sutton Sports Performance Center:
These photographs are from a few weeks ago. This project is far from finished. I'll change the completion date to Summer 2019.

This photograph is the reason I think these two buildings could open in Summer, instead of Fall:

Science & Office Building:
Why is it so difficult to find photographs of this project? I've searched for the past three weeks to find an update for this project. It's a 7-storey building fronting the John Gold Expressway, in walking distance of Union Station, surrounded by college students. This building should make regular appearances here. I did find the name of the General Contractor: Rodgers Construction. No new photographs found.

Major Tomms Oddity Shop:

Clouds with lighting or possibly lightning are very awesome!

Credit: majortomms

Forsyth County Courthouse:
They are still trying to decide between a 250,000 square-foot 8-storey building or a 306,000 square-foot 9-storey building. The 8-storey building would have up to 24 courtrooms and a skybridge connecting to office space in the Forsyth County Government Center. The 9-storey building would be more secure and have all of the space in one building, allowing the building to meet future needs for many years. The building in the renderings below is a 140 foot tall structure, with 16-foot 8-inch tall court floors and 14-foot office floors. It will have a steel skeleton. If it is scaled-up to 9 floors, it could reach around 155 feet in height. Most of the people who will work in the building are asking for the larger and taller building, so they won't out-grow it three years after it opens. They are looking into creating a linear park that would stretch from the city's tallest skyscraper to the new courthouse. It is worth noting that an electrical bank may prevent them from building a tunnel between the courthouse and the detention center. They will have a beautiful lobby and a multi-escalator open space, with plenty of light and nice views from the windows, between the courtrooms. CBRE Heery is the design architect for this project.

Renderings for the smaller of the two proposals:

Credit: CBRE Heery

Proposed multi-block linear park space with view corridor:

Credit: CBRE Heery

Bailey South:

Credit: nakahiraaki

Link Apartments Innovation Quarter:

Since these are from Sunday, there aren't any construction workers on site:

Alternative Transportation:

Union Station & Streetcar Yard:
According to the General Contractor, the existing windows were restored using Pilkington Spacia vacuum insulated glass from Japan, making Winston-Salem's Union Station the second installation of this product in the United States. Learn more about it in this video. You'll notice dots on the windows in the video and remember seeing them on the glass in previous updates.

Video Link

I think most of the current work is upfitting office and retail spaces? It won't officially open until those spaces are completed. If this is among your favorite projects and you would like to tour the building, the city is planning a grand opening for this building when the upfits are completed.

Credit: New Atlantic Contracting

A restored shoeshine stand:

Off-Subject:

A science festival at a few of Winston-Salem's downtown craft breweries?

Credit: Pint of Science

Keep Winston-Salem Weird & Nerdy!

Credit: lettersfromwinston

Credit: lettersfromwinston

Credit: 6thandvine

Your City