View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 6:19 PM

The library is one of those key institutions in the city. They have played very important roles since roman times and have always been good markers of the city. A gorgeous modern, hightech library says something about the city. If we were to build one, maybe people would stop thinking we are a small backwards thinking city.

I grew up in the library myself. Alderney to be specific. I went to reading programs. Used the computers. Played piano recitals, and got out hundreds of books all the time. It was a very important part of my childhood. And I find myself going to the library for development information sessions. And I use the downtown branch as a meeting spot, because everybody knows where the library is. They are much more then just a couple of books on a shelf. Anytime I go into Alderney or the SGR it is always bustling with people.

I say spend the money, spend even more. Because a good library says something about the city it is in.

Not to mention also, the public process the library has gone through for this new branch is amazing. The best consultation process I have ever seen in this city.