View Single Post
Old Posted May 29, 2006, 6:47 AM
FargoMoorhead comin at ya

Yeah, I've spoken with city engineers and planners. They usually get a smirk on their face because they have 1 or 2 wacky ideas like mine that they love to share with me. The people I SHOULD be talking to, are the city developers. But if I don't have thousands or millions to pour into a project, it's kind of hard to get them to listen to you. Anyways, I do try to get to as many planning and development meetings as I can on my busy schedule. I'm also currently a subscriber to the FMMetroCOG so I can keep on those aspects as well.

I won't disagree with you. Fargo does have high property taxes. I know it's a problem that needs to be addressed A.S.A.P. but I don't think that proposed 1% sales tax is the solution. We don't need to use additional taxes, to cover current taxes. Then again, I think if you go to other cities around the country, the taxes are of course much higher. But the wages are higher as well. I'm not sure what the figures are in terms of ratio to wages/salary and cost of homes/property taxes. Then again, I am a renter, like you are, so it doesn't really affect me all that much. But none of money goes into the tax coffers. I'd have no problem contributing once I purchase a home, but at the same time, I have a nice apartment and don't have to worry about many of the things associated with owning a home (something breaks YOU fix it, mowing lawns, shoveling driveways, heating, plumbing, etc... ).

In terms of Mayor, I hope to god, we don't get someone more conservative who only concentrates on how to lower property taxes. What they need to do, is entice larger corporations to move into town. If we can lure Alien Technologies here, we can lure some other companies as well, especially with the talent that exists in the region. We need to build up the corporate taxes coming into the coffers to offset the residential taxes. But once again, I can currently only offer a voice on the matter. I need to start another company and make some real money. I currently work at the tech park and the wages are excellent, but I'd like to be running something on my own again.