View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 20, 2022, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
You still don’t get it. There’s a reason you don’t see office towers popping up everywhere being built on spec, let alone a nearly 3 msf one. Look around! It doesn’t happen, and the last time something like that did happen was the 50 years ago when the original complex was built. That was thanks to the state, and it still took a couple of decades to fill.
I thought that many supertall office towers are being built on spec outside of Lower Manhattan, like with the skyscraper building boom in Midtown. Fair enough, that is a wrong impression that I had.

But why can't the situation when the original complex was built not happen again? Does the state not have money or are large scale projects financed by the state like that which built the original complex no longer realistic for some reason?

Arguably because of the need to rebuild the WTC after 9/11, it doesn't make sense why the state didn't again step in for the rebuilding of all the WTC towers to be complete by the 20th anniversary of 9/11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
I thought that the latest proposal has only 2.2m sf of office space.
The original plan for the site was that all the towers would be for office space like for all the original WTC buildings on the 16 acre site (except for 3 WTC). But this seems harder to achieve now on the WTC site.

A hotel taking up part of 2 WTC makes more sense than apartments taking up part of 2 WTC at least.

Last edited by worldtrade2021; Apr 20, 2022 at 7:17 PM.