View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
None of the 3 proposals created by HRM planning are particularly easy to view or understand, but the idea of making it transit-only is absurd. SGR is first and foremost a commercial street and depends in part on the ability of people passing by to see what is happening in the shops. I can see getting rid of on-street parking, and widening the sidewalks except for some loading zones, taxi stands and bus stops, but going much further with that is a sure-fire way to kill the street's commercial activity. The HRM planners seem out of control on this front of late and need to be given a stiff dose of reality. Planning school theories are just that and often do not do well in actual practice.
I kind of agree with Keith, to be honest. Option 3 is the best from a design perspective, and I have no problem reducing the flow of traffic (it's just a few blocks, and I would wager more people are on the street on foot than in cars most of the time), but to entirely close it to cars strikes me as unneccessary and not particularly an improvement over a street that simply prioritizes others without excluding vehicles.