View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 3:15 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anactualalien View Post
Hmm, did not know it was scrapped, I seem to recall there being an article last year about the John Rebecca location being a go still, it was just swapped with the Gore park reno.

Ah Here it is,
https://www.thespec.com/news-story/6...-near-club-77/

I'll be disappointed if it goes to this other lot, maybe it's just me but the north stretch of Hughson there looks kind of a tough nut to crack as far as infill, so many utilities buildings around there if I'm not mistaken. Walking through has always been unpleasant.

I like the original location because. (firehall aside) it transitions nicely from King William which is the crown jewel as far as cozy walkable streets in Hamilton, and personally John is one of the streets I'd like to see have the same level of TLC as James.
yes but their original proposal called for the demolition of "the underground" - a thriving place where bands play - this one calls for no demolition.

And for anyone htat has follows my posts, you know I am strictly against knocking down buildings in the name of "revitalization" - esp. when those businesses are already booming.

Also the owner, Anthony Sa, ain't gonna sell that place unless it's an astronomical amt, and there is nothing that warrants the city to expropriate it. So expect that to either sit forever (as it has already) or never happen. The bigger lot being redeveloped seems a much better option, and it's an area that is very noticeable - and nothing says you can't make the area around the underground - or "club 77" I guess as it's called now - a park as well. However due to it being a club it would probably just become a den for druggies and vandalism, as that's what drunk people staggering home from such places tend to do..

Also I tend to like the underground club building - it looks old, but it also has that gritty 90s alternative rock feel to it

we should also encourage this area to be more of an entertainment area, not destroy the existing entertainment - where else downtown can people go to watch bands and have that sort of atmosphere? (that aren't in say a park or outside in events like supercrawl)? None immediately come to mind... maybe that building on james near the liuna station..

no "park" is going to replace that sort of venue.

Last edited by Chronamut; Jul 14, 2017 at 3:28 AM.