View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 1, 2006, 8:36 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
I can't find a decent picture, it would definitely have to be I.M. Pei's Akzona Building, on the north side of Pack Square. It's a testimony to the fact that just because you're a starchitect, that doesn't necessarily mean you have the first clue what you're doing.

Combined with its decaying parking deck, the two create a block-long dead zone along College Street. On the deck side, it's chainlink and crumbling cement. On the building side it's loading docks, without even a single window below the third or fourth floor.

I'm thinking, to tell you the truth, that the reason there aren't any good pictures of building, and especially of the building and its deck together, is that they're so ugly they shatter the lenses of anyone who dares attempt capture them on film.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947