View Single Post
Old Posted May 15, 2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhGoodGlavin View Post
Thanks for posting. Although we've gotten increasing frequency and upgrades to mainline on BOI-SEA, it seems like it's been a while since we've gotten an addition of a new city and/or new airline. Hopefully, the new strategic plan is something BOI officials can point to when they're marketing the city. The lack of growth in air service seems a bit out of step with all of the national hubbub on Boise's population growth.
There's not a whole lot of places to go or airlines to add. Until Boise can sustain a 737-size aircraft to the East Coast I don't see much happening. I really only see Delta being able to do that to Atlanta (something they've already tried). Perhaps Alaska adds something to the new SFO hub?

Regional airlines are having pilot shortages and other similar sized airports are having similar passenger growth numbers, so tough to get priority. Boise really has a great service level thanks to Southwest and Alaska's point to point flying that other airports of similar size don't have. I get a little perplexed with people stating how expensive or difficult it is to fly out of Boise. It isn't LAX, but you can't expect that. The average fare is quite low there too. Sure flying to another small or mid size city is expensive, but plenty of affordable fares to West Coast cities. Plus, Southwest has added some flights and destinations, American has added service, and United has as well.

I had heard an airline was considering adding/growing a flight crew base, but the source is from a rather unreliable work group. And based on the new concourse it appears the airport is expecting a reduction in regional aircraft. Not sure if that is just based on an algorithm or they have been told they need room for that.