View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
So council ok'd this to move forward, but there was some discussion about whether or not there should be a neighbourhood-specific set of planning rules. I didn't pay attention to council yesterday, but my second-hand gleanings are:

Watts, it seems, felt it was too big, and wanted to slow things down and look at instituting a set of design standards specifically for this area. I’m not sure why that would be desirable, since this area will soon be covered under the centre plan.

The Karsten and other councillors went on the offensive and the other extreme, saying that context is unimportant and saying “yes” to development is.

I wouldn’t agree with either of those perspectives (context is always important, but I think this project fits great in its context).

If anyone listened to the council stream or has any insight into this, I’d be curious to know any more, especially about Watts’ rationale for a local set of planning rules, or why some councillors deemed the project too dense. (I know a lot of people would dogpile on that notion, but six storeys on a residential side street IS quite significant, and would be considered pretty big in any city in the country. I've got no problem with it though.)
She was asking for a delay whilst the centre plan is put together and citizens ahve a chance to help decide what a neighbourhood looks like.
Such a project would be met with a resounding NO in Toronto and a resounding YES if on a main thoroughfare.
Too many of the councillors are of a mind to approve anything - and they live in an R-1 zone. They are adherents of "Build it and they will come. More development means more taxes. Just build anything, except where I live"